Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wisdom Has No Age Limit

Today, I thought it only appropriate to share something that is near and dear to my heart…..a story about my daughter since this is our Mother, Father & Daughter….Table Topic Luncheon.

There are a number of things that stood out in my mind but only one thing that was dropped in my SPIRIT.   Don’t worry she has heard me tell this story a number of times because I wanted her to know that she has been a living example for me; just as much as I’ve been a living example for her.

I am going to take you back about eighteen years. It was late one Saturday evening and I was sitting in my den.  When this little straggle girl turned the corner and asked me this question.  Mom, why don’t you go to church like you use to?  Somewhere along the way between work, family and school I had put on the back burner, what was most important to me; my spiritual life.

Of course, it struck a cord in my heart and I said, Keturah, you want to go to church.  Don’t get me wrong; I don’t believe the church building holds any magical powers; other than, people that love God.  (Attending church does not make us righteous; but, righteous people do not forsake the assembling of themselves together.

I looked into her eyes and told her we will go tomorrow.  I was good to my word and we rose early the next day headed to the Sunday morning service.   

This is where my lesson began.  When I think about that day it is not how everyone welcomed us back, nor the message that was delivered that Sunday morning. 

But the little girl sitting next to me asking me “Mom, can I go up”.  See my Pastor asked did anyone have something to share.  I could sense the urgency in her little voice and I was not one to stop her for sharing what was on her heart.  With her hands by her side and tears steaming down her face she said, My mom hasn’t been to church in a long time.  I just wanted to say I am glad she is back.  I don’t have to tell you I was an emotional mess and so was everyone around me.

From that point forward, I made a commitment to myself never to allow life’s struggles to interfere with my convictions.  At this point, I was going to say I never looked back but that is not true. I often looked back as a reminder.

I encourage you today.  Whatever struggles you are facing; I challenge you to be true to your convictions.  Whether it is your family, your business, or like me your spiritual growth….you chose.

One last comment I want to leave with you….

Mothers, Fathers and Daughters,  we can learn from each other……remember…..wisdom does not have a age limit.

No comments: