Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

LOCKED WITHIN MY HEART


In my mind’s eye, I can see me and my oldest sister lying in my grandmother’s iron bed.  It is Sunday night and it is time for prayer and everyone has gathered in her room.   She is on bended knee, hand pressed against her forehead; my grandfather kneeling at a chair across the room. She starts off…Most Heaven Everlasting, to Everlasting though art God.  It is again and again Lord that we come to you.  The sounds and groans my grandfather make is not understandable but undeniably he is helping to prepare the way for my grandmother’s uttered prayer. 
At the time I didn’t know, if we were ending the week or starting a week nor if there were troubles that only they knew about but I did know it was prayer time, a time to give reverence to God.
Sunday night prayer was something that happened every week until my grandfather went home to be with the Lord.  Afterwards, I would hear my grandmother in her room praying late at night, in church services and my favorite was New Year’s Eve.  Thanking God, for another year, another day, another hour, another minute, and yes, another second.  Why, because some of us didn’t make it.
How appropriate as I approach another Birthday that I remember that the next second is not promised. Throughout this journey we call life there will be trails and tribulation; there will be heart aches and heart break, the bible tells us in Matthew 5:45, that God sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
The past two weeks has given a new meaning to having a regulated mind.  Keeping your mind stayed on Jesus Christ impedes the opportunity for the enemy to slip into your life and cause havoc.  It allows the Fathe to order your footsteps so you can walk in his divine providence.
 I know that pieces of my granny prayers ride on the wings of a dove and they surface at the right time to encourage me and my family; to let us know that God is a heart fixer, a mind regulator and an anchor in times of trouble.  Her prayers are locked within my heart.
I am not sure that being her caretaker was for her benefit or was it more for mine, again, only time will tell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A burden barer and heavy load sharer. I miss her but I feel SO blessed to have had her in my life. Very few people get to know their great-grandparents... I knew three of mine!

I smile knowing we'll see her again :)