Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Life Is Precious

This past Thanksgiving holiday was like any other. I rose early to prepare my Thanksgiving dinner. I scurried around the kitchen opening cabinets, pulling out pans and searching for ingredients. Yet, something in my heart was a little off. My mind took back to a Thanksgiving Holiday that would forever change my perspective on how precious time is with my family.


I love the times when we traveled as a family to visit my grandparents. Oh, to hear the sound of my Dad’s car tires against the gravel road. My grandmother jumping up and down on the front porch clapping her hands as the car came to a halt.

Those times were special. The smell of fresh baked cakes and pies and chatter in the kitchen filled the house.

Dinner was always served promptly at noon. The family would gather around the round dinner table; with heads bowed, my grandfather would bless our meal and then bowls and plates would be passed around until everyone would settle in to eat a good holiday meal.

The Thanksgiving of 1976 was different. I was 16 and in my own world. I have always been an avid reader and this year was no different. The funny thing is today I can’t even recall the book's name that was so important to complete.. I could hear the 1st call for dinner. I snuggled closer to that wood heater and continue to plow through what I believed was a page turner that I could not put down.

Then I heard heavy footsteps moving my direction. Out of the corner of my eye I could see my grandfather stoking the fire. I heard a voice say you know dinner is ready; come join us at the dinner table. Barely looking up I replied “Daddy, I will eat with you next year”. I really want to finish this book. I am sure by now you have a feeling that next year never came. My grandfather became critical ill the following January and went to be with the Lord that spring.

For years, I pondered why didn't I rise and go share that last holiday meal with Daddy George.  It was the 1st of many whys that I would ask myself later in life. The lesson was painful.  Yet, I learned life is precious, time is fleeting and choices steer our destiny.

No comments: