Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A Reminder

Since the Christmas Holiday is right upon us, I thought I would post a reminder regarding overspending.  I surprised you.  I bet you thought I was going to say “the true meaning of Christmas”. 

Just like God wants to give good gifts to his children, I understand being a parent and wanting to give good gifts to our children.

However, overspending to provide those gifts is not wise.  Often it starts a cycle that will take the upcoming New Year for us to recover.  I am speaking from experience. From the perspective of someone who had to fight their way out of debt and it literally was a fight.

I have done it all.  I have transferred balances from one credit card to another.  I have run expenses up with the justification that as soon as I get some extra cash I will pay that bill off.  Before I knew it I was alternating what bills would get paid, and the interest rate was driving up my balances.  You’ve heard the old adages "robbing Peter to pay Paul" not a good feeling.  Remember we have to lives after the Holiday’s end.

I can honestly say there has been some Christmas’s where things looked bleak, yet, God with his unfailing love has provided.  I know we live within a society where bigger is better. But I am going to ask you the question “Who is it better for?”   I know it is better for the economy but is it best for the individual.

As we bring Christmas cheer, let’s be wise about our spending and remember the best Christmases are those where unexpected Christmas miracles happen.

Have a Blessed Holiday

No comments: