Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Customer Service "Turned the Table"

I believe an act of kindness is like laughter, it can be contagious. 

Two weeks ago, Saturday, my daugher and I realized we had not visited Starbucks in awhile.  It was time for a coffee date. While we were waiting she told me that she would like to go next door and look at a phone case from one of the major service providers.

I am going to choose to believe that what  happen next was because it was early; after , we entered the store I dropped my coffee.  What immediately caught my attention was when I walked into the store 5 people greeted me. (They wanted my business) Yet, when I dropped that cup of coffee I stepped into the "Twilight Zone" because nobody moved.

I thought to myself and voiced it verberlly to my daughter, "really, and this is my service provider." Then out of nowhere a young man appeared with some paper towels.  I gave some to my daughter and then took the time to clean up what had not soaked into the carpet.  When I was finishing up, this same young man appeared with some toweletts in his hand.  He stated, "I know how it is when you spill coffee it can be sticky" "I am a coffee drinker myself".

I thought to myself, if I buy anything out of this store, it will be from him.  He proceeded to help us look for a phone case, recommeded a screen protector, and while we were talking he was reviewing account.  Now I am back where I was when I entered the store.  I am feeling good.

Then he said, some magic words "save me money".  This was my first experience where the sales assoicate took it upon himself to review my account without me inquiring.  I told him," I tell you what, I have been considering changing service provider's so you tell me what you can do to reduce my bill."  He run the numbers.  Afterwards, he flipped the computer screen around and I said, "really, let's do this".

As we were finishing up the paperwork, he said, "I  want to thank you for placing this order with me;  it started my month out right".

I told him I have walked in this store a number of times.  I started pointing out people who had tried to sale me additional services in the past and I walked out saying, no.  The deciding factor for me was the extra steps he took by bringing me and my daugher those towletts.

His actions compelled me to want to return an act of kindines with kindness. If someone goes the extra mile, we should acknowledge that act so they will know that it was not done in vein.  This will stop people from becoming dishearten.  By demonstrating appreication, I believe kindness can be like laughter and continue to spread; then we all can be winners. 

No comments: